Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Pear Jam no, I didn't say Pearl Jam!!! lol

Today will mark another day that I have accomplished something that I thought would be damn near Impossible.......  I made my very own Pear Jam!  and it tastes Awesome!!!!

My long story short was this......  My dad bought me these 8 oz Jelly jars by accident when I was suppose to be getting Pint Jars..... Well, can't really complain about it when someone is giving you something just because you have started a new project and they want to help you along in your project.  So I have kept them.....I even tried to can Corn in them.... HAAAAAA  Don't ever try that.....its a FAIL!!!  I'll just tell ya that now....Corn and 8 oz Jelly jars do not Mix....  Anyway....So these 2 cases of jars have been sitting here all the while I'm beg, borrowing and stealing.......  Not really stealing getting them for a steal some places...... Quart Jars.... Everything I have Canned has been in Quart jars...


My Friend and I were talking yesterday and she mentions that on some Sale group she belongs too a guy had posted that you can get ALL YOU CAN PICK Pears for $3.00.  I of course decided that I would Jump ALL OVER THAT!!!!!  My Boys and I went down there today.....and got some Pears......According to my Scale........80 plus lbs of them....Whooopppppssss!!!!  So I have alot of pears to be canning....
This picture is Missing the first 10 lbs that I have already made into Jam!!!!  

Here is the recipe I followed........

http://www.pickyourown.org/pearjamandjelly.htm

I am realllllly digging this Pickyourown.org site.......  it is very very very helpful when you are Beginner Canner like Myself.

As for my Pear Jam......  I used my Blender....(Don't ask)  and I guess it only has one setting that works....and it cut those pears up like Applesauce......Not complaining.....it looked and tasted pretty darn good....and Honestly......I reallllllly have No FLIPPING Idea what exactly it's SUPPOSE to Look like when you are done.......So Winging it is the name of this game.....I'm going to take a jar over to my Friend who cans alot of fruit....and have her tell me what she thinks....and what I could do better.....I have a whole Lot of other Pears to can so I want to make sure I don't screw them all up......  
So my jars are officially out of their water bath.........Which I also did for the first time today....Used my Pressure Canner.....Yes, its possible......  and I already hear them making that sweet sound of Clicking.....  We are good to go.....  

The boys and I tried it on a piece of toast.....and all three of us gave it our Seal of Approval....... I won't be surprised if there is a Jar open in the morning with Breakfast....lol

Soooooooooooo, if you live in North Central Indiana........I have the Hook up on some Pears......  lol....  I'll pass the savings along........

No comments:

Post a Comment