Saturday, August 18, 2012

Pear are Over and will the Snapping ever stop

My canning of Pears is finally over for the season.  I have a whole lot of Pears..... I have Spiced Pears



I have Pear Jam 

and I have Pear Preseves and some Jam 


I have a little bit of pears left....but not enough to do anything...so I'll feed them to the chickens....My Pear Canning Chapter is OVER!!!  

For Future reference  

My husband really likes Peaches and has asked me to can him some.... which brings me to my next bit of information.....  I've been working pretty hard to make sure that I am networking per say with the farmers around here.... Letting them know that I Can food.... (not to many people I am finding out still can or care to)
It's just easier to go to the Grocery...... Yes, Yes it freaking is.....
But anything in life worth having.....you have to work to get...
In my opinion....

Anyway...   I was coming back from our Local Back to school Fair in town and seen that a little farmers market that I have seen time and time again was still open.....I have never remembered to stop by or it was closed anytime I've wanted to go... so we stopped by in there...The people were packing up..

I told them, I was just looking for prices..

He asked what I was looking for...

I told him...just prices some of the stuff I am canning... and I said mainly Peaches right now.... 

Guy proceeds to tell me that he will be out of Peaches for Good in the next day or two, that I should get them if I wanted them for canning.  

I start calculating in my head how much his peaches are..  I ask him if that $2.29 was as low as he will go.....  

He started mumbling and getting all huffy at me....said...How Dare I ask him such a question...He doesn't need people like me, always trying to get something for nothing.

As I was walking away.....I told him that I in fact would be taking my business elsewhere....and Tuttle's Orchard would be getting my Peach Business this year.  I got in my truck and left....

Here's the deal.......  Tuttle's Orchard has Peaches $30.00 per half bushel.  That is roughly 25 lbs of Peaches.... This guy was selling them for $2.29 a lb.....I'll do the math...

      25 
x$ 2.29
$57.25          Now I didn't think that I was out of line asking the guy if that was in deed his bottom line price!!  There is quite a price difference there......  Some farmers will discount you if you buy by the half or full bushel......

And the bad part about it was....You can just tell that this is just the guy who stands there selling stuff.......He is NOT the farmer....looked like the heaviest thing he's ever picked up was a watermelon....
Long story short on this matter.......I made sure all my local friends heard about his Assholeness.......  I hope he realizes what he can do with those Georgia Peaches he was selling........SOME PEOPLE!!!

....I am buying all the stuff I am canning locally.....I tell anyone that asks.....Where to find what type of veggie ...

I need my own damn garden......that is all that there is too it...I want to be able to can my OWN Veggies......  so next year.... thats my plan......get my own garden going......

FMI:  Tuttles gave me a Bushel of Green Beans....late in the season for $35.00  and of course  

$30.00 for a half bushel of peaches....     
These are just notes to myself...in case I need them later...LMAO... Why not put them in your blog.....Hey.......Whatever works....






No comments:

Post a Comment